A Brief History of the New York Province
In 1846, French Jesuits arrived in New York City from Kentucky at the invitation of then Archbishop Hughes to assume responsibility for a small college and seminary, St. John's, that he had founded north of the City in the Fordham district. The assumption of this responsibility marked not only the beginning of Fordham University but the New York-Canada Mission as well. Although the Jesuits of the Mission did good work, the problems associated with operating across linguistic and cultural boundaries proved to be significant. In 1879, the Superior General of the Society of Jesus disbanded the New York-Canada mission and gave responsibility for the American section to the Maryland Province which was renamed the Maryland-New York Province.
In Western New York, the German Province had established a Buffalo Mission to serve the large number of German immigrants in the region. The Jesuits founded two parishes in the 1850s and then Canisius College in 1870. The Maryland-New York Province was given responsibility for these works in 1907.
The steady growth in the number of Jesuits in the United States in the twentieth century led to a number of administrative realignments. In 1926, the six New England states were established as their own Province, headquartered in Boston. In 1943, Maryland and New York were separated with New York retaining responsibility for all of New York and part of northern New Jersey. New York itself was split with the establishment of the Buffalo Province in 1960 which assumed responsibility for the works of the Society in upstate New York. With the changes that occurred in the Church and in American society in the 1960s, there was a steady decline in vocations leading to the reincorporation of the Buffalo Province into the New York Province in 1969.
The Jesuits of New York have served the universal Church and Society through our service of the people of the Philippines, Micronesia and Nigeria-Ghana. In 1958, the Philippines became its own Province as did Nigeria-Ghana in 2005. Jesuits from New York continue to serve in these Provinces as well as in Micronesia which remains a dependent region of New York. Our work in Micronesia is helped through our long-standing relationship with the Province of Indonesia which has supplied needed personnel to the works of Micronesia. The international dimension of our work is also reflected in a new relationship that is being forged between New York and the Antilles Province. The Antilles Province serves the needs of the peoples of the Caribbean who have become an important part of the growing immigrant population in New York and throughout the United States.
: Rev. Peter Schineller, SJ [firstname.lastname@example.org]
Current Institutions of the New York Province and Their Founding
Fordham University - Bronx, Manhattan, Tarrytown [Founded in 1841 and given to the Society in 1846 as St. John's College, it assumed its current name and status as a university in 1907.]
Fordham Prep - Bronx 
Xavier High School and St. Francis Xavier Parish Church - Manhattan [1847 - Began as a college and church.]
Church of St. Michael - Buffalo 
Church of St. Ignatius Loyola - Manhattan [1866 - Entrusted to the Society. Originally, it was under the patronage of St. Lawrence O'Toole.]
Canisius College - Buffalo 
Canisius High School - Buffalo 
St. Peter's University - Jersey City [1872 - 'Re-founded' in 1930 after having closed in 1918]
St. Peter's Prep - Jersey City 
Jesuit Martyrs Shrine - Auriesville, N.Y. 
Loyola School - Manhattan 
Church of St. Ignatius - Brooklyn 
Mount Manresa Jesuit Retreat House - Staten Island 
Regis High School - Manhattan 
Church of St. Anthony - Oceanside [1927 - Entrusted to the Society in 1980]
Loyola House of Retreats -Morristown, N.J. 
St. Ignatius Retreat House - Manhasset [First given to the Society in 1937, it became a retreat house in 1963 and is also known as "Inisfada"]
LeMoyne College - Syracuse 
McQuaid Jesuit School - Rochester 
Nativity Mission Center Middle School -Manhattan 
Church of St. Aloysius - Manhattan [1899 - Entrusted to the Jesuits in 1985]
Saint Ignatius Middle School - Hunts Point, Bronx 
Brooklyn Jesuit Prep Middle School - Crown Heights, Brooklyn 
Church of St. Mary of the Assumption - Staten Island [1853 - Entrusted to the Jesuits in 2004] In 2006, St. Mary of the Assumption was given responsibility for Our Lady of Mt. Carmel-St. Benedicata